Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Lighthouse, Green Point
uMkomaas district, KwaZulu-Natal

Natal Harbour Department's Engineers: Architect

Date:1905
Client:SAR&H
Type:Lighthouse
Style:Industrial Archaeology
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
30°14'59.41" S 30°46'51.50" E Alt: 17m

Declared a National Monument (now Provincial Heritage Resource) on 1995 09 25. The prefabricated cast-iron lighthouse at Mahlongwa was dismantled and re-erected at this location to protect shipping from the Aliwal Shoal. It was equipped with a 700mm focal distance, group-flashing optic. The lens platform was floated on a bed of mercury and the original light source was a petroleum vapour burner, the second last such to use this light source and the first to be fully automated in 1961 when the light was converted to electric operation.


Writings about this entry

Hoberman, Gerald. 2011. Lighthouses of South Africa : pocket edition. Cape Town - London - New York: The Gerald & Marc Hoberman Collection. pg 132, 133 (ill.)
Williams, Harold. 1993. Southern Lights : Lighthouses of Southern Africa. Cape Town: William Waterman Publications. pg 93-94