Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Hervormde Kerk - Tivoli Theatre
Tshwane (Pretoria), Gauteng

Date:c1880s
Type:Theatre
Status:Demolished

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
25°45'08.36" S 28°11'18.76" E Alt: 1337m

Teen 1889 is 'n saaltipe kerkgebou opgerig hoek van Minnaar- en Markstr. Die hele blok het aan die gemeente behoort en op die suid-oostelike hoek is die pastorie van ds. Goddefroy opgerig [sien aangehegte skets]. Die kerk sou diens doen vir die gemeente tot met die inwyding van die nuwe kerk [Du Toit-str] in 1904. Daarna is die gebou verkoop en omskep in die Tivoli Teater.
(Inligting uit : Pont, A.D. [dr] Ned. Hervormde Gemeente Pretoria 1855 - 1980 Gutenberg Boekdrukkers Pretoria. 1980)

Submitted by Rosa Swanepoel.

By 1889 a hall-type church building was erected on the corner of Minnaar and Market streets. The whole block belonged to the congregation and on the south eastern corner the parsonage of Rev. Goddefroy was built [see attached sketch]. The church was to serve the congregation until the inauguration of the new church [Du Toit street] in 1904. After that the building was sold and converted into the Tivoli Theatre.

Market Street was later renamed Paul Kruger Street.