Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Carnarvon, Northern Cape

Carl Otto HAGER: Architect

Date:1880-1883
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Demolished 1952

Vorige NG kerk, ontwerp deur Carl Otto Hager. Op 9 Augustus 1880 is die bouwerk aan die nuwe kerk begin met die spit van die eerste sooi deur mev. Harris Puch, die eggenote van die resident-magistraat en siviele kommissaris van Carnarvon. Ingewy op 10 Februarie 1883, presies twee en 'n half jaar nadat die bouwerk begin het.

Op 26 Oktober 1952 is afskeid geneem van die kerkgebou waar reeds ses voltydse leraars die Woord bedien het, 6 058 kinders gedoop het, 3 392 jong mense belydenis laat aflê het en 1 368 pare in die huwelik verbind het.

Die dag daarna het die slopingswerk begin en ses maande later is dit voltooi. Met die uithaal van die hoeksteen van die gebou is 'n verseëlde glasfles gevind waarin 'n paar tydskrifte weggelê was.

(Morné van Rooyen)

The previous NG church, designed by Carl Otto Hager. On 9 August 1880 building work started on the new church with the first sod being dug by Mrs. Harris Puch, the wife of the resident magistrate and civil commissioner of Carnarvon. Inaugurated on 10 February 1883, exactly two and a half years after building work began.

On 26 October 1952 leave was taken of the church building where six full time ministers had preached, 6 058 children christened, 3 392 confessions of young people and 1 368 marriages.

The next day the demolition was begun and completed six months later. With the removal of the cornerstone of the building a sealed glass container was found where a few magazines had been stored.

This church was replaced by the new church designed by LOUW & LOUW.


Writings about this entry

Krige, Ode. 2015. Carl Otto Hager : argitek tot eer van God, 1813-1898. Hermanus: Hemel & See Boeke. pg 170, 206