Felsenkirche - Church on the Rocks
Click to view map
The Felsenkirche (Church of the Rock) was designed and built by Albert Bause for the German Evangelical Lutheran congregation of Lüderitz. The cornerstone was laid on 19 November 1911 and the Church was inaugurated on 4 August 1912. The side windows were donated by members of the aristocracy in Germany, while the altar window was a gift from the German Emperor. The Felsenkirche overlooks the town from the granite outcrop on which it is built, high up on the Diamantberg. This church was proclaimed a national monument in 1978. NATIONAL MONUMENTS COUNCIL PLAQUE mounted 1992.
The cost of building was 46000 Goldmark.
See also National Heritage Council of Namibia
Writings about this entry