Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Moravian Mission Church
Elim, Western Cape

Date:1834-1835
Type:Church
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
34°35'32.37" S 19°45'36.14" E Alt: 47m

The building was started in 1834 and completed in 1835. The name of government architect John SKIRROW is associated with the church but how much his advice was followed is not certain. The missionary Teutch supervised the building work carried out by builders from both Genadendal and Elim.

Along with the entire Elim is was declared a National Monument in 1975 and is now a Provincial Heritage Site.

These notes were last edited on 2020 04 07


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 448
Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2010. 101 Country Churches of South Africa. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 87