Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Jubilee Hall
Mthatha, Eastern Cape

Date:1932
Client:Municipality of Mthatha
Type:Hall
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
31°35'02.37" S 28°47'25.09" E

The construction of the Jubilee Hall commemorated the 50th anniversary of the founding of Mthatha in 1882.

Transcript of The Foundation Stone (sandstone):

(Portion of Inscription lost) [COMME]MORATE
(Portion of Inscription lost) LOCAL
(Portion of Inscription lost) 1932
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY
(Portion of Inscription lost) W. J. DANGERFIELD
MAYOR, JUBILEE YEAR, 1932
_____________________

J. J. NEPGEN
MAYOR
C. L. A BARRETT    G GALE
TOWN CLERK    TOWN ENGINEER
_____________________

Transcript of Stone commemorating the opening ceremony:

MUNICIPALITY OF UMTATA
JUBILEE HALL

THIS HALL WAS OPENED BY
H.R.H. THE PRINCE GEORGE K.G., G.C.V.O
ON
SATURDAY, THE 24TH FEBRUARY, 1934

The double pitched roof over the Jubilee Hall was blown off during the major tornado experienced in Mthatha on 15 December 1988. The roof of the Jubilee Hall was not repaired and it subsequently stood vacant. The suspended timber floor, the access stair to the projection booth, the entrance doors and the remains of the roof trusses to the Hall were then all removed. The sub-floor space - exposed by the removal of the floor - has over the course of time become overgrown with reeds - as a consequence of the four perimeter walls forming an enclosure to capture rain water.

The lean to roof over the change rooms behind the stage has remained largely intact - albeit significantly dilapidated - and these rooms have since been inhabited by squatters. The area in front of the entrance steps up to the Hall is used an informal market selling live chickens.

Submitted by William MARTINSON, April 2014

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.