Click to view map
These are two sets of gates on opposite sides of Government Avenue which runs along the north western side of the Company Gardens. On the north western side the gate leading into the Michaelis School of Art is guarded by two female lions. On the opposite side the gate from the south east that leads into the Company Gardens is guarded by two male lions. They were built in 1805 by THIBAULT with the lions & lionesses sculpted by the architect's frequent collaborator Anton ANREITH. The lionesses on the Michaelis side are original but the lions on the other side, curiously, were removed in 1873. In 1958 they were restored when Ivan MITFORD-BARBERTON — arguably South Africa’s greatest sculptor after Anreith — created new beasts for the old perches.
They were renovated in 2008 by skilled restorer.
Writings about this entry