Click to view map
34°00'55.94" S 22°27'20.97" E Alt: 206m
Possibly built to the design of Carl August PACALT who left instructions that the church be built with his money after his death. The Congregational Church, Pacaltsdorp, commenced in 1822 and built by local workers, may have been inspired by Pacalt, particularly as the strong, rough stone tower is reminiscent of English country churches. The windows are particularly fine examples of Gothic Revival wooden interlacings forming a series of overlapping Gothic arches. Lewcock (1963:280) states that it is 'the finest surviving early Gothic Revival building in South Africa ... this building has a frank directness ... a certain humble beauty, which is missing in many a more archaeologically accurate building'.
Design ascribed by Hoevers (2005:86) to the Missionary, William Anderson.
These notes were last edited on 2020 10 07
Writings about this entry
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 486 ill|
|Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pg 143 ill|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 46, 47 ill, 48, 174|
|Gutsche, Thelma. 1970. The Bishop's Lady. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 76|
|Hoevers, Jan. 2005. Van Kerke en Dorpe. Historiese vertellinge oor die oudste kerke en dorpe in Suid-Afrika. Centurion: Publiself Uitgewers. pg 86|
|Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 48, 279-280 ill|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 83|
|Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 132|