Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Kleinfontein Hospital
Benoni, Gauteng

Date:1906
Type:Hospital
Status:Unknown

HISTORY OF THE KLEINFONTEIN HOSPITAL

The Kleinfontein Hospital was founded in September 1904 and was at the time for the benefit of Kleinfontein and Van Ryn Deep European male mineworkers and officials only. At the time it consisted of only one ward.

Though all the workers on the New Kleinfontein, Van Ryn Deep and Apex Coal Mines were members of the “Kleinfontein Group Medical Society” who owned and ran the hospital, many were not aware of the fine institution they had and the admirable manner in which it was carried out.

As it is told from various newspaper cuttings:

In 1905 the Kleinfontein Group handed over the affairs of the Medical Society to a Committee to be elected by the members from their own body. The Society had then £500 in hand and immediately the newly elected Committee took steps to erect a hospital, the first portion of which was ready for the reception of patients towards the end of 1906.

The £1 730 which the first wing of the hospital cost, was met by the £500 already mentioned, £200 from the profits of two concerts organized by Dr. Harris (who was then the Society’s Medical Officer), £500 donated by the directors and the balance met by the savings of the first year’s running under the elected Committee.

However some years later in about 1908 the advantages of the hospital were fully recognized and further additions were made.

In 1912 William Haig came to the hospital as the relieving secretary. He built himself a house in Northmead and was undoubtedly the second pioneer, if not the first, to build in Northmead.

Changes were made in the constitution and in 1914 the Committee opened a new ward for the treatment of women and children, including maternity cases for mineworker’s wives and families.

The hospital had no resident medical officer and its staff comprised a matron (who had been with the hospital for a number of years), six sisters and seven probationer nurses.

After some time the nursing staff often found it necessary to set up extra beds in the wards to cope with the overflow of not only serving the New Kleinfontein Mine but all the other mines in the Benoni and surrounding areas.

Kleinfontein Hospital had the finest and the latest appliances for sterilizing instruments for the operating theatre on the East Rand and many major operations were carried out at any hour. The hospital was also prepared for any emergency with a special blood bank that was on call 24 hours a day and a lighting plant in the event of any power failure.

Another feature of the hospital was the comfortable room for convalescents where those patients who were able to walk about were able to gather for socials such as reading or quiet games.

A broad verandah ran right round the hospital so that there was plenty of room for the beds to be placed outside when climate conditions allowed. The women’s section was separated by the broad entrance hall.

A feature of the women’s surgical ward was the bell by each bed with which a patient could instantly call a nurse when required.

In 1943 the Kleinfontein Provident Fund took over the administration of the hospital from the Kleinfontein Group Medical Society and ran the hospital under the auspices of the Mines Benefit Society.

Shortly afterwards, it was decided to make it an open hospital catering for members of the public as well.

Then with the increasing number of dying mines in the Benoni area, it was decided to give all the present hospital staff three months’ notice.

The future of the hospital building was uncertain. Suggestions were made that it should be converted into an old-age or chronic sick home. However, as it stood on mining ground no decision was taken until the mine authorities had consulted the Mining Commissioner on the matter. (B CT 1961)

NOTE:

  • On 13 October 1992 residential care was established in the Old Kleinfontein Hospital, a derelict building that had been standing vacant for three years.
  • Twenty children moved into Old Kleinfontein and the K.I.D.S. (Kids In Dire Straits) HAVEN was formally started.

Sources: Various Articles written in BCT 1961 & 1949 plus East Rand Express 1914, 1916
Typed & Story: Glynis Cox Millett-Clay
Dated: 11 March 2016