Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Stock Exchange Building - Fourth
Johannesburg, Gauteng

NURCOMBE,  SUMMERLEY, RINGROSE and TODD: Architect

Date:1958-1960
Client:Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Status:Adaptive re-use
Street:Hollard Street

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
26°12'24.70" S 28°02'19.60" E Alt: 1738m

Made mainly of prefabricated structural components.

"The Fourth Stock Exchange Building emerged from the rubble of the Third and was completed in 1961. A powerful public relations exercise led to Presidents and Chairmen of famous stock exchanges including London, New York, Paris and Frankfurt being invited to the grand opening. The new building included a majestic trading floor located on the seventh floor (rising to the ninth), an exhibition hall, a committee dining room, a cinema projection room and plenty of office space. The JSE would call this building home for a brief 17 years before it moved to new premises in Diagonal Street. A board showing the closing share prices on 7 December 1978 is preserved in the lobby of the building today." (James Ball 2017)

See Johannesburg Stock Exchange Buildings over the Decades by James Ball, January 10, 2017 on The Heritage Portal.


Writings about this entry

Chipkin, Clive M. 2008. Johannesburg Transition - Architecture & Society 1950 - 2000. Johannesburg: STE Publishers. pg 163
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 157