Dockyard Church - First
In 1813 at the time of the Cape being in permanent British hands, Thibault was asked to report on the conversion of a warehouse in Simonstown dockyard into a church and school, for which he prepared plans of a building of 17 x 5m and 7m high. Of interest was the employment of Chinese craftsmen brought in by the navy in 1815 in the roof carpentry and construction of the timber belfry. When executed and consecrated in April of 1814 it became the first Anglican Church in South Africa. It served until the building collapsed in 1820, replaced by the 2nd Dockyard Church.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry