Click to view map
(SAB Jun 1931:41)
THE NEW PREMISES at Cradock for the Standard Bank of South Africa, Ltd. are erected on a site at the corner of Adderley and Michau [sic Durban] Streets, and the main entrance is on the corner. The banking hall faces Adderley Street and the public space and manager's office face Michau [sic Durban] Street. The building is single storey and is constructed of hammer-dressed Cradock stone with tooled Queenstown stone for the engaged columns, cornices, sculptured cartouche and all carving and dressings. The panels between the engaged columns are of brickwork finished in cement rendering. The entrance vestibule is panelled in dark green marble. All the principal doors and fittings are of teak, and the banking hall, public space and manager's office have panelled teak dados. The floors are of wood block and rubber tiles.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry