NZASM Rand Tram Railway Station
In 1896, the year in which the Krugersdorp and Jeppe Stations were completed, a new station building was erected at Springs to provide for the increase in traffic due to the growth in coal mining in the region. As at Krugersdorp, it replaced the old corrugated iron halt or Type II building. The layout was similar to that of Jeppe Station, except that the entrance hall and office portion were larger, and both luggage and waiting-room were incorporated in a wing. Adjacent to the waiting-room were toilets and a ladies' waiting-room, while on the other side of the entrance hall were a number of offices, one of which was for administrative work in connection with the transport of coal.: The brick building had a lean-to canopy covering part of the platform, and was provided with a low-pitched roof with a latticed gable. It was demolished shortly after 1935.
[Extracted and transliterated from De Jong et al, 1988: 97.]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry