Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Crows Buildings
Pretoria, Gauteng

John ELLIS: Architect
Date:c1909
Type:Offices
Status:Demolished

This building was built on the south-east corner of Koch and Pretorius Streets opposite the Magistrates' Courts in about 1909. At first it was occupied exclusively by government offices; the Land Settlement Board, the Inspector of Mines, the Inspector of Machinery and the Immigration Office and later by the Asiatic Registration and Immigration Office. Turkstra opened a Tea Room at the eastern end of the ground floor of the building west of the Volksstem in 1911 and remained there until after 1913. In 1912 this was known as Crow's Building, presumably in memory of Crow's business situated in approximately this site in 1892.
(Dunston 1975:261)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Dunston, Lola & Dunston, Tom. 1975. Young Pretoria 1889-1913. Pretoria: Dunston. pg 261