'The Towers' was built by a well to do merchant, John Henry Wood. On 1 august 1909 his assigned estate was sold for 1682 pounds to the Orphan Chamber. On 1 December 1916 the Orphan Chamber sold the property to the YWCA for 2500 pounds, additions were done by PARKER & FORSYTH. For fifty years the YWCA remained in The Towers, building a second floor containing a row of single bedrooms.
'The Towers' is currently (2012) a guest house.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.