General context of memorial
Photographer: William Martinson - 2017




Granite memorial on low stone plinth
Photographer: William Martinson - 2017




Detail of incised inscription - note the four fixing holes of original bronze plaque - since removed
Photographer: William Martinson - 2017




Detail of granite memorial with dressed front face
Photographer: William Martinson - 2017




Detail of inscription
Photographer: William Martinson - 2017




Perspective view of 3D digital model. Philip and Kevin May, 2021
Submitted by William Martinson






Plan of memorial from 3D digital model. Philip and Kevin May, 2021
Submitted by William Martinson






Front elevation of stone of Memory from 3D digital model. Philip and Kevin May, 2021
Submitted by William Martinson






Rear elevation from 3D digital model. Philip and Kevin May, 2021
Submitted by William Martinson






Memorial in its original location on Settlers Way with the original inscription and cast bronze plaque
Submitted by Beverley Young via William MARTINSON

Photographer: Unidentified




Scanned article from Daily Dispatch, 17 August 1962. (Upper portion). Copy of article provided by Glenn Hartwig, Reference Librarian at the East London Public Library
Submitted by William MARTINSON

Click for larger image





Scanned article from Daily Dispatch, 17 August 1962 (Lower portion). Copy of article provided by Glenn Hartwig, Reference Librarian at the East London Public Library
Submitted by William MARTINSON

Click for larger image





Scanned article from Daily Dispatch, 17 May 1972. Copy of article provided by Glenn Hartwig, Reference Librarian at the East London Public Library
Submitted by William MARTINSON

Click for larger image





View of stone at its second site in Settlers Way
Submitted by Bev Young via William MARTINSON

Photographer: Unidentified




Scanned copy of a map defining the names of the various industries located in the Industrial Areas of East London in 1968. The map records the position of Whitworth Road in Gately Township - which road has now been subsumed into the Mercedes Benz Factory site. The 1820 Memorial stone was originally placed in 1953 at the intersection of Whitworth Road and Settlers Way - probably at the south east corner of the intersection.

Ref: East London Industrial Areas: Chiselhurst, Gately & Arcadia. The Bodleian Industrial Analysis Maps, Bodley Publishing House, Published by Rand Mines, 4.10.1968.

Copy of map provided by Glenn Hartwig, Reference Section, East London Public Library.

Submitted by William MARTINSON

Click for larger image





Daily Dispatch, 2 September 1955.
Submitted by Glenn Hartwig, Reference Section, East London Public Library via William Martinson

Click for larger image