Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

List of Projects

LEWIS, David Ivor

Born: 1876
Died: 1939

Architect


Lewis was born at Machen, near Newport, Monmouthshire, and was educated at Lewis School, Glamorgan, and at Ardwyn College, Aberystwyth. He was articled to W Graham Hitchcox & Co in Newport, where he remained for seven years, spending nine months in America before he came to South Africa in 1902. He was appointed chief architect in the Town Engineer's Department, Johannesburg, where he remained until 1908, working under DC LEITCH and the Town Engineer, GS Burt ANDREWS. In 1908 he left the public service and became a member of the technical staff of the builder W Hosken & Co and married Hosken's daughter. Lewis's work with Hosken was mainly concerned with domestic buildings and steel structures for the mines. In 1910 he and T SCHAERER entered a drawing in collaboration for the Johannesburg Town Hall competition. During the First World War he went overseas on active service and remained in England for some time after the war ended, attached to the Housing Ministry after having worked for the Ministry of Munitions. Lewis returned to South Africa in 1922 and considered opening a practice at the Cape. It is not yet certain how long he remained in South Africa but by 1925 he was back in Wales, practising in Newport, Monmouthshire at The Pandy, 4 Spencer Rd.

Lewis was listed in RIBA Kalendar 1931/1932 as an absentee practising member of the Institute of South African Architects.

While in South Africa, Lewis had been an active member of the profession. In 1906 architects in Johannesburg formed a new society, the Transvaal branch of the Society of Architects (London), the general consideration being that in terms of taking the profession seriously, the Transvaal Institute of Architects was moribund, its meetings ill-attended. Both societies limped along for some time, as did the Association of Transvaal Architects, until the Society of Architects was incorporated into the RIBA. Lewis acted as Honorary Secretary to the Society of Architects from around 1911 and also served on the Council of the TIA in 1914. Lewis was appointed an examiner in History and Practice for the Examining Board of the Society of Architects, South African branch, in 1914 and was elected President of the same Society for 1914-1915.

Mem of Council of TPIA; MRSI and a member of the Concrete Inst, mem ATA; FRIBA, Monmouthshire 1925; ISAA 1927. (Afr Archt Jan 1912:156; Afr Archt Aug 1912:32; Afr Archt Feb 1913: 138; Afr Archt Feb 1914:314; Afr Archt Sep 1914:12-13; Building Mar 1922:36; FRIBA nom papers (1925) 2085; ISAA mem list; Jnl ATA Feb 1916:8; Jnl ATA Sep 1916:34; Jnl ATA Mar 1917:59; SAAR Sep 1926:86; SA Lady's Pic Oct 1911:42; SAWW 1908, 1910)

Publ: The Late Mr HM SNOWBALL, Afr Archt Jun 1914:23,24

All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.

List of projects

With photographs
With notes

Burghersdorp and Natalspruit refuse destruction: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Eastern District Fire Station: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Generating Station and Offices: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
House Lewis: The Pandy: pre-1911. Houghton, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Joubert Park Kiosk and Conservatories: pre-1912. Joubert Park, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Plague Lazaretto: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Tenement Buildings: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Tramway Employees' quarters: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Tramway Sheds: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect
Twist St Bridge: pre-1912. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect

Books citing LEWIS

ISAA. 1927. Register of Members the Institute of South African Architects. Johannesburg: ISAA (Unpublished Record). pp L11