A nephew of Joseph Barry who came to Port Beaufort in 1819, Thomas Barry and his brother John joined their uncle's business in Port Beaufort as traders. The firm was known as Barry & Nephews. According to Oberholster (1972:117) Thomas Barry built an attractive little church with a thatched roof as an interdenominational chapel for the residents in 1849.
(Oberholster 1972)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.