DE ZWAAN and SOFFEstablished: 1909?
The Pretoria partnership between WJ DE ZWAAN and F SOFF. Longland's Pretoria directory 1899, lists only De Zwaan in Pretoria; by 1915 both were separately listed but with the same post box number in Pretoria, as members of the Association of Transvaal Architects. In 1909 and 1911 they were listed together: 'De Zwaan, WJ., and Frans Soff, Bank Avenue, Pretoria.' By 1924 both were in Pretoria but again listed working at separate addresses. They appear to have been in partnership from about 1895 (on the basis of Hollard House being attributed to them) and from after the Anglo-Boer War until about 1923 when their last so far recorded buildings were executed.
(Edward's dir 1924; Longland's Pretoria dir 1899; Lockhead's Guide, handbook & dir Pta 1913; UTD 1915; Picton-Seymour 1977)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Hollard House: 1895. Pretoria, Gauteng - Architect |
|Louis Botha Memorial Home for Children: 1923. Colbyn, Pretoria, Gauteng - Architect |
|National Club: 1923. Pretoria, Gauteng - Architect |
Books citing DE ZWAAN and SOFF
|Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pp 202|
|Meiring, Hannes. 1980. Pretoria 125. Cape Town: Human & Rousseau. pp 101|