Born in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, son of Robert Crombie and Agnes Thomson (Family Search). Was a pupil of FT Pilkington's in Edinburgh, for five years circa 1866 to 1871. He also attended classes at Heriot Watt, Edinburgh, given by Sir James Russell where Russell lectured on Hygiene and other subjects (it is not certain to which profession Russell belonged - he is possibly James Russel). Crombie appears to have remained with Pilkington as assistant, finally commencing practice on his own account in 1885. In 1889 he was based at 34 St Andrew Square, where Frank Worthington Simon also had an office at that date (DSA entry).
In the early C20 he left for South Africa where he became a draughtsman in the architectural department of the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT in Pretoria and was a member of the Association of Transvaal Architects by 1915. During the period 1909 to 1911, while with the department, he worked on the Pretoria Post Office designs, the Pretoria Station Building and the Union Buildings.
He was elected LRIBA on 20 March 1911, his proposers being James McLellan Fairley, Henry Francis Kerr and John Watson.
There is also a listing of this practitioner on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.
(LRIBA nom papers (1911) 1079; UTD 1915)
These notes were last edited on 2020 11 06
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.