ANDREWS, Edwin DouglasBorn: 1910 04 14
Died: 1987 08 10
Reg No: 726
Year registered: 1939
Was born in Cape Town where his father worked in the Surveyor's Office. He started his training in 1926 in the office of Hubert L ROBERTS attending evening classes in architecture at the Michaelis School of Fine Art, University of Cape Town. In his senior student years he was given a reasonably free hand on some jobs, designing two blocks of flats in Sea Point and a motor showroom for Farber on the corner of Dock Road and Bree Street in Cape Town. As a fifth-year student he won the Architect, Builder and Engineer's prize and qualified in 1932. By 1933 Andrews was chief draughtsman with ROBERTS & SMALL in Cape Town (Roberts thought highly of Andrews), leaving in 1936 to become an assistant in Max POLICANSKY's office where he remained until 1939. In 1939 entered practice on his own account and then entered into partnership with a Netherlands trained architect, HTO NIEGEMAN (cf ANDREWS & NIEGEMAN). The greater part of Andrews's career took place after 1940 in Cape Town. His knowledge of the older Cape architecture enabled him to carry out important restoration work among which was the restoration of the ANREITH pediment at the Groot Constantia wine cellar. Andrews practised in Cape Town from 1939 until his retirement as a partner of the Cape Town firm of ANDREWS & NIEGEMAN (s.a.). ARIBA 1933; ISAA 1939. (AB&E Mar 1933:12; Andrews 1986; ISAA mem list; ARIBA nom papers 5193, 1933)(C.p.).
Recipient of the Gold Medal Award from the South African Institute of Architects in 1964 as well as the Simon van der Stel Foundation - Heritage South Africa Gold Medal in 1987.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing ANDREWS