CLARIDGE and SIMMONDSEstablished: 1883
A partnership between T CLARIDGE and JWL SIMMONDS in Pretoria from about 1883 to 1889. The dating of the partnership is based on the dates of the Dutch Reformed Church, Church Square in Pretoria of which they were the architects. Their Neo-Gothic design replaced the first church, a simple gabled building by DEVEREUX & SKINNER. The partnership appears to have ended about 1889. Declared structurally unsound, the church was demolished in about 1904.
(Argus & SA dir 1889:875)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1883-1885. Central, Pretoria, Gauteng - Architect |
Books citing CLARIDGE and SIMMONDS
|Kesting, DP. 1978. Afrikaans Protestantse kerkbou : erfenis en uitdaging. Port Elizabeth: Unpublished PhD. pp 805|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 287, 296|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 164|