NTULI, JohannesBorn: fl. 1877
Son of Jwangubane Ntuli, Johannes Ntuli, assisted by 'two other Zulu converts (one was Shimayane) of the Norwegian Mission' built a square house of bricks for King Cetshwayo at Ondini just after the King's coronation. The house was known as the 'black house' (indlu mnyama). It was rectangular with four rooms, two outside doors and windows. 'The king used one room as a place where he spent part of the day and where he met his counsellors and indunas and attended to the affairs of state. At night the doors were locked and the house was guarded by two girls who were the keepers of the keys. The King slept in his private hut.' The Norwegian Mission referred to was at Eshowe; its first pastor was the Reverend Ommund C Oftebro 'to the Zulu ear his first name sounded so much like umOndi that the Reverend gentleman became known by that name. His mission station consequently became known as KwaMondi (the place of Ommund).' The umuzi at Ondini was destroyed by the British six years after it was completed. (Dlamini, P. ed. 1986. Servant of two kings: 33, 63)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Ondini: the 'black house' (indlu mnyama): n.d.. Ondini, KwaZulu-Natal - Architect