Bethulie, Free State

Founded: 1863

Name means 'chosen by God'.

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

The town was established in 1863 and named Heidelberg, but was renamed Bethulie in 1872 after the nearby mission station to avoid confusion with towns of the same name in the Western Cape and Gauteng.

(Richardson 2001:169)

List of references:

Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 216
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 124
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 169

List of buildings:

Gereformeerde Kerk: 1924.
Louw Wepener memorial and grave: 1940. district
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1887.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk, adds?: 1922.
Pellissier House: 1834.
School: n.d..
World War Memorial: 1953.