Notice: Undefined index: lim_start in /usr/www/users/artefekshh/main/Buildings/towndetframes.php on line 16 Uitenhage, Eastern Cape










Uitenhage, Eastern Cape

Founded: 1804

Named after Commissary-General JA Uitenhage de Mist.

 


Click to view large map

List of references:

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 526-529
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 119-122
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 222
Joubert, 'Ora (Ed). 2009. 10 years + 100 buildings : Architecture in a Democratic South Africa. Cape Town: Bell-Roberts Publishing. pp 374-377
Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 48, 50, 52, 55, 58-9, 59n, 73-5, 74, 75, 79n, 99, 101, 131n, 136, 138n, 140, 146n, 158, 220-2, 229, 233-4, 297, 304n, 318, 329, 353, 374, 380, 381, 383, 389, 397-9, 404n, 414n
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 136-137
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 102-103
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 44-45

List of structures:

20 flats, shops, offices for and known as NGK Geboue: 1936.
5 shops, Uitenhage: 1881.
Anglo Boer War Memorial: n.d..
Church (denomination not certain but plans were prepared for W Tennant): 1837.
Cinema for Afr Theatres (Astra?): 1936.
Cottage Hospital: 1904.
Drill Hall: 1896.
Drostdy - Museum: 1804-1816.
Hospital, alt: 1931.
House HJ Ruddle: 1930.
House JF Dolley: Blenheim House, ext: n.d..
Kwanobhule Carwash: 2004.
Magistrates Court and Offices: 1880.
Market Building: 1909 : 1930.
Markham's Building: n.d..
Masonic Temple: 1880.
Muir College: 1901-1904.
Municipal Complex: 1881-1882 : 1955.
National Bank of SA Bldg for JW Couldridge: 1925.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1818-1843.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1927.
Pavilion: 1896.
Plaza Theatre: n.d..
Power House: 1910.
Proprietary School and Masters' residence, Uitenhage: 1875.
Public Baths: n.d..
Public Buildings: 1896.
Public Library: 1903.
Railway Station - Now Museum: 1875.
Riebeeck College: 1896.
St Joseph's Catholic Church: 1898.
St Katherine's Church: 1875, 1896.
Store and outbuildings for JG de Villiers: 1875.
Synagogue: n.d..
The 3rd Yeomanry Regiment Memorial: n.d..
Uitenhage Club: pre-1909.
United Church (later the Congregational Church): 1884.
VWSA People Pavilion Sports and Recreation Facility: 2013.
Ward block, mortuary, ext to nurses' home, Queen Mary's Hospital: 1935.
Warehouse for Stefrac: 1936.
World War I Memorial: n.d..