Somerset East, Eastern Cape

Founded: 1825

Named after Lord Charles Somerset (1767 – 1831) who was the Governor of the Cape Colony from 1814 to 1826.

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

(See also Wikipedia)

List of references:

Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 326-327
Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 75, 43, 46, 48-52, 73, 100-101, 136, 164-165, 222-226, 227, 284, 331-332, 341, 355, 409, 410
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 102
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 41-42
Schoeman, Chris. 2013. Historical Karoo, The : Traces of the past in South Africa's arid interior. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 133-139

List of buildings:

All Saints Anglican Church: 1855.
Bellvue Seminary: n.d..
Gill College: 1869.
Hope Congregational Church (now Afrikaanse Protestante Kerk): 1844.
Museum : Drostdy : NG Pastorie: c1820.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1870.
Post Office: 1966.
Presbyterian Church: n.d..
Road Bridge - Little Fish River: 1896-1897. district
Town Hall: 1934.
Transfer Docking Station: n.d..
Voortrekker Centenary Monument: 1938.
Walter Battiss Art Museum - Battiss Private Hotel - Old Officers' Mess: c1815.
William Oates Memorial School: c1928.