Port Alfred, Eastern CapeFounded: 1821
Named after Prince Alfred, second son of Queen Victoria.
Click to view large map
Originally called Port Kowie, it changed to Port Frances in 1825 and named Port Alfred in 1860.
List of references:
|Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 147|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 108-109|
|Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 35-36|
|Turpin, Eric. 1964. Basket work harbour : the story of the Kowie. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp All|
List of structures: