Port Alfred, Eastern Cape

Founded: 1821

Named after Prince Alfred, second son of Queen Victoria.

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

Originally called Port Kowie, it changed to Port Frances in 1825 and named Port Alfred in 1860.

List of references:

Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 147
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 108-109
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 35-36
Turpin, Eric. 1964. Basket work harbour : the story of the Kowie. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp All

List of buildings:

Anglican Church: 1936.
Bridge over the Great Fish River - Boy Retief Bridge: 1956. district
Customs House and other buildings: 1823.
Flats, Mrs NO Brewer: 1926.
Kowie River Bridge - Henry Putt Bridge: 1989.
Kowie River Wagon Bridge - Henry Putt Bridge: 1907.
Lighthouse, Great Fish Point: 1898. district
Market Building: 1928.
Nico Malan Bridge: 1972.
Police Station: n.d..
Railway Station Building: 1884.
Richmond House: 1840.
Richmond House - Cock's Castle: 1860.
School: n.d..
Settler Church - Methodist: 1827 : 1939.
Settler Church - Methodist: 1823.
St Nicholas Church: 1939.
Warehouse: n.d..
West Reach House: 1988.
White Gables: c1830.