Barkly West, Northern Cape

Founded: 1870

Named after Sir Henry Barkly (1815-1898), governor of the Cape Colony from 1870 to 1877.

Originally called Klip Drift.

List of references:

Bawcombe, Philip & Scannell, Ted. 1976. Philip Bawcombe's Kimberley. Johannesburg: Village Publishing. pp 126-127
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 196-197
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 46-47

List of structures:

St Mary the Virgin Anglican Parish Church: 1871.