Wellington, Western Cape

Founded: 1840

Named after the Duke of Wellington by Sir George Napier

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 2-6, 28
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 303-312
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 186-189
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 91-94
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 53-54
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 162-163

List of buildings:

Bain's Kloof Pass: 1848-1852. district
Barclays Bank: 1938.
Blockhouse: c1900. district
Ferguson Hall: 1907-1908.
Huguenot Girls' High School: 1907.
Huguenot Seminary, hostel: 1926.
Kramat Sheik Suleiman: n.d.. district
Lady Loch Bridge: 1910. district
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1839.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Noord: n.d..
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Oos: 1976.
Netherlands Bank: 1964.
Old Groenberg School: n.d.. district
Presbyterian Church: n.d..
SA Bacon & Prov Industries Ltd factory: 1917.
SA Dried Fruit Co Ltd Bldg, ext: 1930.
Synagogue - New Apostolic Church: 1921.
Training College: 1912.
Volkskas Bank - now ABSA: 1961.
WM Cuthbert & Co Ltd Factory: 1919.