Tulbagh - Western CapeFounded: 1795
Named after Ryk Tulbagh, governor at the Cape.
Laid out in 1795, the town was named after Ryk Tulbagh (1699-1771), Governor of the Cape from 1751-1771. The region was originally Land van Waveren, and this section, as a district, was named Tulbagh by JW Janssens in 1804. Tulbagh attained municipal status in 1861.
On 29 September 1969 a severe earthquake seriously damaged a number of buildings, including historic houses in Church Street. With financial support from various bodies, the Tulbagh Restoration Committee restored the historic buildings in this street and acquired many of the properties in order to restore and preserve the street scene as well. The houses are mostly in the Cape Dutch and Victorian styles, and date from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth centuries.
[Richardson Deidré, 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. p, 156.]
List of buildings:
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Click on map for larger image