Somerset West, Western Cape

Founded: 1817

Named after Lord Charles Somerset (1767 – 1831) who was the Governor of the Cape Colony from 1814 to 1826.

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

List of references:

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 239-254
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 184-185
Heap, Peggy. 1970. The Story of Hottentots Holland : Social history of Somerset West, The Strand Gordon's Bay and Sir Lowry Pass over the centuries . Cape Town: Balkema. pp 95-132
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 100-103
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 70
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 138-140
Warner, Brian. 2006. Cape landscapes : Sir John Herschel's sketches 1834-1838. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press. pp 132, 150, 152, 153, 154, 156

List of buildings:

Alexandra Hotel, reconstruction: 1933.
Cape Explosives Works: 1903. district
Coachman's House Museum: 1830s.
De Beers Dynamite Co: 1903.
House Bosman: 1950.
House Conradie: 1960.
House Jo Jagger: 1928.
House Patterson: 1966.
House Sir James Sivewright: pre-1905 : pre-1910.
House Solomon: c1925.
Methodist Church: 1861.
Morgenster: 1786.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1940.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1820.
Railway Hotel: pre-1913.
Road Bridge over the Lourens River: 1845.
Somerset Mall Shopping Centre: 1993.
Somerset West House: n.d..
Vergelegen: 1700. Vergelegen,
Vergelegen for Sir Lionel Phillips, restoration: 1700 : 1917 : 1993.