Simonstown, Western Cape


Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

List of references:

Brock, BB & Brock, BG (Editors) with Willis, HC (Collaborator). 1975. Historical Simon's Town : Vignettes, reminiscences and illustrations of the harbour and community from the days of the VOC and the Royal Navy with notes on administrators, personalities, old buildings, navigation and shipwrecks. Cape Town: AA Balkema for the Simon's Town Historical Society. pp All
Dommisse, Boet. 2005. Admiralty House Simon's Town. Simon: J Domisse. pp All
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 159-170
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 102-111
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 219-220
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 47-48
Warner, Brian. 2006. Cape landscapes : Sir John Herschel's sketches 1834-1838. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press. pp 25, 111, 120, 121-122

List of buildings:

ABC Bldg: n.d..
Aerial Cableway: 1902-1904.
Atwell's Bakery: 1897.
British Hotel: 1897.
Central Hotel: 1900.
Da Gama Cross: 1965. district
De Beer's Cold Storage: 1901.
Dias Cross: 1965. district
Dockyard Church - First: 1813-1814.
Dockyard Church - Second, St George's Dockyard Church: 1820-1824 : 1898.
EK Green & Co Bottle Store: 1905.
Glencairn Hotel: c1906. Glencairn,
House 'J': 2008.
House Blackburn (now House Boulder): n.d.. Bellevue,
House EA Lankester (Blofield): 1905.
House JD Low: 1913.
House Shear: 1972.
House W Runciman, MLA: 1899.
Huts for Fresh Air Camp at Froggy Pond: 1937.
Infant School: 1851.
Information Centre and Entrance Kiosk: 2003. The Boulders,
Kramats Tuan Dea Koasa and Tuan Ismail Dae Malala: n.d..
Lord Nelson Hotel: 1931.
Manse and hall: n.d.. Glencairn,
Martello Tower: 1795.
Masonic Hall - Phoenix Lodge: 1860.
Masonic Hotel: 1898.
McKay's Shops and Residence: 1899.
Mosque and School: 1923.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1856.
NG Kerk Parsonage - Die Stempastorie: 1900.
Police Station and Barracks: 1939.
Remembrance Garden: 1977. Seaforth,
SA Navy Living Quarters Simonsberg: 1963.
Sailors' Home: n.d..
Saints Simon and Jude Catholic Church: n.d..
Simon's Town High School: 1896.
St Francis Church: 1834.
Telegraph Office: 1866.
United Services Club: 1931.
Welcome Cottage: n.d.. Glencairn,
Whyte’s Buildings: 1910.