Riversdale, Western Cape

Founded: 1838

Named after Harry Rivers, a local government official.

 


Click to view large map

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 81, 86-89, 123
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 473-475
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 214-218
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 64
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 117, 119-121

List of structures:

Boys' Public School: 1906.
Church denomination unknown - now New Apostolic: n.d..
Garcia Pass and Toll-house: 1872-1877; 1958-1963. district
Hospital: pre-1921.
Kindergarten school: 1911.
Lutheran Church: n.d..
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1838-1845.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1908.
Riethuiskraal Primary School, bldg: 1934.
Riversdale Public School for Boys: 1912.
St Matthew's Anglican Church: 1856 : 1901.
Volkskas Bank - now ABSA: pre 1964.