Notice: Undefined index: lim_start in /usr/www/users/artefekshh/main/Buildings/towndetframes.php on line 16 Oudtshoorn, Western Cape










Oudtshoorn, Western Cape

Founded: 1847

Named after Baron Pieter van Rheede van Outshoorn.

 


Click to view large map

List of references:

Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J & Fisher, Roger C. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pp 22, 45, 47
Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 91, 98, 104, 128-130, 133, 138, 139, 140
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp District 503-504, Town 506-510
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 204-207
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 172-173
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 123-125
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 86-88
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 125-127

List of structures:

Asphalt Skating Rink and building: 1909.
Barclays Bank - now FNB: 1968.
Boys' High School - now CP Nel Museum: 1905-1907.
Boys' High School boarding hostels: pre-1911.
Boys' High School Gymnasium - now CP Nel Museum: 1912.
CJV Hall - Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1894.
Criterion Hotel: 1908.
De Avond Rust: 1927.
Farm Onverwacht for SDP Le Roux: 1909.
Feather room for Oudtshoorn Farmers & Fruit Growers Assn: 1909.
Five shops and offices for Lazarus & Co: 1909.
Gaiety Theatre: 1912.
Gaol: pre 1862.
Girls' High School: 1905.
Hebrew School: 1910.
House and stables D Jappie: 1910.
House Edmeades - Pinehurst: 1911.
House Edmeads - ACVV Offices: 1880.
House G Olivier: The Towers: 1902.
House HB Anneberg: 1912.
House J Nochamson: 1910.
House JA Foster: Foster's Folly: 1902.
House JL Potgeiter: 1925.
House Lind - Gottland House: 1902.
House O Olivier: c1908.
House R Gavin, Welbedacht: 1914.
House Rev H Marston, West Bank: n.d..
Houses for L Manesewitz: 1910.
Imperial Hotel, adds: 1906.
Industrial School: 1911.
Johannesburg Building Society (JBS) Building: n.d..
Juta-Olivier Bridge - Grobbelaars River: n.d..
Le Roux Townhouse: 1909-1910.
Masonic Hall - Cango Lodge: 1931.
Music & Pupil Teachers' Dept, Girls' High School: 1912.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1921.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1861 : 1865 : 1879.
NGK Kantoor - DRC Office: 1895.
Old Mutual: n.d..
Oudtshoorn Courant Building: 1892.
Outeniqua House: 1910.
Pinehurst - House Edmeades: 1911.
Plan for synagogue, not built: 1911.
Post Office: 1959.
Presbyterian Church: 1923.
Prince Vincent and Co Buildings: 1913.
Private Boarding House: pre-1911.
Proposed cottage for Phillip Augullus: 1908.
Queen's Hotel: 1880.
Railway Bridge: n.d..
Royal South Western Fever Hospital on the banks of the Grobbelaars River: c1899/1900.
School: 1921.
Semi-detached residences for W Sanders: 1910.
Sladowski House - Mimosa Lodge: 1907.
St Jude's Anglican Church: 1860-1863 : 1880 : 1887 : 1897.
St Saviour Methodist Church: 1892 : 1913.
St Saviour's Catholic Cathedral: 1967.
Standard Bank: 1902-1904.
Standard Bank, supervising architect: 1903.
Store and Motor Garage: 1913.
Suspension Bridge: 1914.
Synagogue: 1886.
Templars Hall: pre-1911.
Templars' Hall: n.d..
Tuishuis: 1899.
Victoria Memorial Hall: 1902.
Welgeluk - House P Olivier: 1909.
Wesleyan Parsonage: 1912.