Montagu, Western Cape

Founded: 1851

Named after Colonial Secretary, Sir John Montagu

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 31, 42-53
Fagan, Gawie & Fagan, Gwen. 2008. Brakdak : platdakke in die Karoo. Cape Town: Breestraat Publikasies. pp 146-153
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 413-418, West 418-421
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 254-259
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 80
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 121-122

List of buildings:

ABC Bank: c1895.
Church: n.d.. near Talana, district
Cogman's Kloof Pass (also Kogmans, Kockemans): 1873-1877. district
Hospital: pre-1921.
House Booyens: 2013. district
Joubert House: n.d..
Kindergarten school: 1914.
Montagu Pedestrian Bridge: 2011.
Montagu School: 1893.
Municipal Offices: n.d..
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1969.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1862.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk and Parsonage: 1909.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Zending Kerk (NGZ Kerk): 1907.
Public School: 1909.
St Mildred's Anglican Church: 1869.
Volkskas Bank - now ABSA: 1959.
Voortrekker Monument: 1938.