Notice: Undefined index: lim_start in /usr/www/users/artefekshh/main/Buildings/towndetframes.php on line 16 Graaff-Reinet, Eastern Cape










Graaff-Reinet, Eastern Cape

Founded: 1786

Named after Governor Cornelius Jacobus van der Graaff and his wife Cornelia Reinet.

 


Click to view large map

For further information visit the following websites:
graaffreinet.com
graaffreinet.co.za
wikipedia.org

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 155-159
Fagan, Gawie & Fagan, Gwen. 2008. Brakdak : platdakke in die Karoo. Cape Town: Breestraat Publikasies. pp 78-81
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 563-571
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 112-118
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 119-121
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 182-186
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 89-93
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 18-22
Schoeman, Chris. 2013. Historical Karoo, The : Traces of the past in South Africa's arid interior. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 102-110

List of structures:

Barclays Bank: 1918.
Board of Executors Building: 1920.
Church of St James: 1848-1850 : 1868 : 1893 : 1900.
Cleghorn and Harris: 1887.
Colonial Trust Co Ltd Building and Secretary's Residence: 1903.
Convent: 1922.
Drostdy: 1804-1805.
Dudley Hall: 1894.
Hepworths Building: n.d..
Holy Trinity Methodist Church: 1871-1875 : 1894.
Hospital: 1923.
Libertas Parva: n.d..
Merino SA Offices: n.d..
Methodist Manse: n.d..
Midland Hospital: 1920.
Midland Seminary: 1875.
Mission Church: 1821.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1861.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1886-1887.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1929.
NG Kerk Saal: 1936.
Old Cape homestead which houses the Rembrandt van Rijn Art Foundation: 1780.
Old Congregational Church: n.d..
Old Library Building - Museum: 1847 : 1878 : 1926.
Old Mutual building: n.d..
Ouberg/Oudeberg Pass: 1832. district
Parsonage at Graaff-Reinet: 1812.
Post Office: c1871.
Public school: 1898.
Reinet House (Old Pastorie): 1812.
Rembrandt Van Rijn Art Museum - was Old Cape homestead: 1780.
Town Hall: 1910-1911.
Town Hall (Competition entry): pre-1911.
Urquhart House: 1806 - 1821.
Van Ryneveld Pass: 1830s. district