Notice: Undefined index: lim_start in /usr/www/users/artefekshh/main/Buildings/towndetframes.php on line 16 George, Western Cape










George, Western Cape

Founded: 1811

Named after England's King George III.

 


Click to view large map

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 91-114, 119, 125, 141, 147
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 484-486
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 162-166
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 118-119
Joubert, 'Ora (Ed). 2009. 10 years + 100 buildings : Architecture in a Democratic South Africa. Cape Town: Bell-Roberts Publishing. pp Ballot's Heights 358-361
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 122
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 83
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 110-111

List of structures:

Assembly Hall, Outeniqua Public School: 1931.
Drostdy - Museum: 1813.
Fancourt House: c1845.
Gaol: 1861.
Girls' High School: 1904.
Holy Cross Convent and School: c1890.
House Kennedy: 2006.
Industrial School: n.d..
Landbank Offices: pre 1993.
Lang Kerk bldg, master builder: 1820.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1813.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1825. Pacaltsdorp,
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1956. Outeniqualand,
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1830-1842 : 1904.
Outeniqua Lodge: 1924.
Poor School: 1912.
Post Office: 1948.
Presbyterian Church: 1933-1934.
Primary School, bldg, Waterford: 1939.
Prince Vintcent Square Shops: c1938.
Public Library: 1904.
Railway Station: n.d..
School: 1914.
School at Diep Rivier (Langkloof): 1937.
Ss Peter and Paul Catholic Church: 1841.
St Augustine's Hall: n.d..
St Mark's Anglican Cathedral: 1850.
Standard Bank and Manager's house: 1911.
Teacher's house, Warmwater Primary School: 1938.
Town Hall: 1911.