Calitzdorp, Western Cape



Named after the Calitz who owned the original farm.

 


Click to view large map

The farm was called Buffelsvlei 'buffalo marsh'.

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 129, 130, 140, 141, 142, 143
Fagan, Gawie & Fagan, Gwen. 2008. Brakdak : platdakke in die Karoo. Cape Town: Breestraat Publikasies. pp 28-29
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 497-499
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 289-291
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 114
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 70

List of structures:

Gaiety Theatre: 1912.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1910.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1879.
Railway Station: n.d..
St Mark's Anglican Church: 1857 : 1880.
Standard Bank: 1911-1912.