Notice: Undefined index: lim_start in /usr/www/users/artefekshh/main/Buildings/towndetframes.php on line 16 Beaufort West, Western Cape










Beaufort West, Western Cape

Founded: 1836

Beaufort was the family name of Lord Charles Somerset.

 


Click to view large map

The first municipality in South Africa.

List of references:

Fagan, Gawie & Fagan, Gwen. 2008. Brakdak : platdakke in die Karoo. Cape Town: Breestraat Publikasies. pp 8-19
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 549-551
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 170-173
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 181
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 89
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 67-68
Schoeman, Chris. 2013. Historical Karoo, The : Traces of the past in South Africa's arid interior. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 44-49

List of structures:

Blockhouse: n.d.. district
Boys' High school: c1898.
Christ Church: c1848.
Clyde House: c1845.
Gaol: c1872.
Gaol: 1871.
Lennon's Corner: 1895.
Library: 1906.
Masonic Hotel: c1898.
Matoppo House: c1834.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1894.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - First: c1825.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Gamka-Oos: c1950.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Gamkavallei: 1951.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Third: 1892.
NG Kerk Parsonage: pre-1908.
NG Kerk Saal - Hall: 1913.
NG Sendingkerk - Mission Church: 1871-1872.
NG Sendingkerk Pastorie - Parsonage: 1911 : 1914.
Old Mutual: 1930 : n.d..
Poor School (now primary school): 1911.
Post Office: n.d..
Public school for Girls: 1879 : 1898.
Royal Hotel: 1931.
Shops and Offices: n.d..
Shops and offices: n.d..
St John's: n.d..
Standard Bank: 1930.
Town Hall: 1865.