Richmond, Northern Cape

Founded: 1844

Named after the Duke of Richmond, father-in-law of governor, Sir Peregrine Maitland.

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

List of references:

Fagan, Gawie & Fagan, Gwen. 2008. Brakdak : platdakke in die Karoo. Cape Town: Breestraat Publikasies. pp 178-183
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 555-556
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 297
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 63
Schoeman, Chris. 2013. Historical Karoo, The : Traces of the past in South Africa's arid interior. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 52-54

List of buildings:

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1847.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1908.
Stillewaters Dam: n.d.. district
Volkskas Bank - now ABSA: 1962.