Hanover, Northern Cape

Founded: 1854

Named by Gert Gous, owner of the original farm, after the birthplace of his German ancestors.

 


Click to view large map

List of references:

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 556-557
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 239-244
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 103
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 51-52
Schoeman, Chris. 2013. Historical Karoo, The : Traces of the past in South Africa's arid interior. Cape Town: Zebra Press. pp 55-57
University of Free State, Department of Architecture. 2013. Hanover 2013 : A study in conservation. Bloemfontein: South Africa : University of the Free State, Department of Architecture. pp All

List of structures:

Mission Church: 1911.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1908.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1859.
NGK Pastorie - Parsonage: 1860.
School and teacher's quarters, Hanover Rd School: 1939.