Mamre, Western Cape

Founded: 1808
View photos of this town

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

The village of Mamre dates back to 1808, when the Governor, the Earl of Caledon, granted land to the Moravians, in order that they might establish a second mission station, Genadendal having proved a success. Originally known as Groene Kloof, the mission was renamed in 1854 from the quotation in the Bible: 'Then Abraham removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre'. (Gen 13:18.) (Picton-Seymour 1989:79)

List of references:

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 331-340
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 128-129
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 59
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 79
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 118

List of buildings:

Groote Post: n.d.. district
Moravian Church for the United Brethren: 1818.
Moravian Parsonage: 1679.
Shop - Winkel: 1880.
Water Mill: 1844 : 1873.