Competition for design for proposed residence for the Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa
COMPETITION FOR DESIGN FOR PROPOSED RESIDENCE FOR THE PRIME MINISTER OF THE UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA AT PRETORIA, TRANSVAAL FOR THE HON. THE MINISTER OF PUBLIC WORKS
ASSESSOR Mr. J.S. CLELAND, F.R.I.B.A.
These conditions have been submitted to and approved by the Central Council of the Institute of South African Architects.
It is suggested that the main building be, generally speaking, two storeys in height. The building will be an important one and the architectural treatment must be very carefully considered by competitors. It is suggested that the design might be on simple lines while not slavishly following, yet suitably based on the fine old traditional work we have in this country, bearing in mind the position intended for the building on a rocky ridge and the climatic conditions.
It is suggested that the internal treatment of the principal rooms should be simple, but in good proportion and taste.
The suggested position for the building is indicated on the site plan at "A" and it is suggested also that axial line "B" be taken as the centre line for the Main Entrance.
North is the best aspect, both from a climatic and outlook point of view. There is a very fine outlook from the site over the valley to the further Kopies to the North and North East.
The main entrance must be from the George Washington Boulevard with a suitable drive up to the house. The West end of the site is the nearest to the Town and the Union Buildings. A spacious forecourt must be arranged for at the main entrance to the house to accommodate a number of cars and a parking space must be provided for convenient to the house for large Receptions etc.
The design of the formal lay-out should provide for a great Lawn for receptions Flower Gardens, Rose Gardens, Terraces, Wall Gardens, Water treatment, Ponds, Fountains, Garden Houses, Pergolas, Tree Planting etc. Provision must be made for Tennis Court and a small swimming pool. The outbuildings it is suggested should be sited as indicated at "C" on site plan and an entrance to them and to the Tradesmen's entrance of main house could be arranged for from roadway marked "D" on plan.
The material to be used and the constructional and finishing work throughout must be of a suitable and sensible quality and South African timber or teak should be provided for all joinery.
The list of subscribers to the architectural competition for the design of a new Prime Minister's residence in order of the numbers assigned to the entries by the Department of Public Works.
- Martin ADAMS, Esq.,M.I.A.
- J.R. BURG, Esq.,M.I.A.
- K.E.F. GARDINER, Esq., A.R.I.B.A.
- Messrs. JOHN PERRY & LIGHTFOOT.
- J. HEUKELMAN, Esq.
- S. PATERAKE, Esq.
- Messrs. OWEN EATON AND MERRYFIELD.
- Messrs. JONES & MC. WILLIAMS
- W.B. TURNER NEWHAM Esq.
- G.E. FITZGERALD, Esq., F.R.I.B.A
- Hill MITCHELSON, Esq.
- J.S. BOWIE, Esq., L.R.I.B.A.
- Charles SMALL, Esq.
- W. PERCIK, Esq. A.R.I.B.A.
- H.J. ALDWINCLE, Esq.
- Messrs. COWIN, POWERS & ELLIS.
- Theophile SCHAERER, Esq., F.R.I.B.A.
- Messrs. GEERS & GEERS.
- Messrs EMLEY & WILLIAMSON.
- Earnest ROSE, Esq.
- Gerhard MOERDYK, Esq. F.R.I.B.A. [Placed First]
- Geoffrey E. LE SUEUR, Esq. A.R.I.B.A. ,M.I.A. [Placed Third]
- Francis DREYER, Esq.
- A.C. JOHNSTON, Esq., A.R.I.B.A., M.I.A.
- Messrs. REID & MARTIN.
- F.K. KENDALL, Esq., F.R.I.B.A., M.I.A.
- V.S. REES-POOLE, Esq.
- Messrs. STOTT, SULLIVAN & BARBOUR.
- J. LOCKWOOD HALL, Esq.
- Douglas HOETS, Esq., L.R.I.B.A., M.I.A.
- Alan WOODROW, Esq., A.R.I.B.A., M.I.A.
- J.A. HOFMAN, Esq., M.I.A.
- Messrs. JOHN FASSLER & BERNARD COOKE.
- Ralph P. HAMLIN, Esq.
- Messrs. COWIN, POWERS & ELLIS.
- C.H. SAYCE, esq.
- Richard F.R . DAY, Esq.
- R.L. DE WET, Esq. A.R.I.B.A., M.I.A.
- E.G. HART, Esq., A.R.I.B.A., M.I.A.
- W.J. DELBRIDGE, Esq.
- H.A. MCQUEEN, Esq. M.I.A.
- Messrs. H.L. ROBERTS & SMALL.
- Messrs LYON & STEKHOVEN. [Placed Second]
- Julius LONSTEIN, Esq., Lic. R.I.B.A.
- B. BROMFIELD, Esq.
- Reg. DE SMIDT, Esq.
- Messrs. LOUW & LOUW.
- L. CARTWRIGHT, Esq., M.I.A.
- Messrs. STUCKE & HARRISON.
- K.R. MAC KENZIE. Esq.