Share this record


Lexicon
Baker School

_____________________________________________________

A collective term coined by Geoffrey Eastcott PEARSE (himself a BAKER boy) to cover the works of the young architects who worked either in Herbert John BAKER's office or in the employ in the DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS in the Colonies of the Free State and Transvaal after the years of the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). Fransen (1982) noted 'Herbert BAKER's school of architecture, with its attention to craftsmanship in detail, traditional use of material and free borrowing of styles, to suit circumstances and/or clients, dominated the scene for decades after Baker's departure in 1913. Keith (1998: 80) includes in the School

Work produced in his own office and of his own imagination in the years 1902-1913 when he was resident in South Africa.

Work carried out by his successors in the firm in the period 1913-20 at the dissolution of the partnership

Work done by previous members of the partnership after 1920

Work of former assistants who established independent practices on leaving

Local contemporary architects inspired by his work but having little or no direct association in practice.

A distinguishing aspect of the style is the Cape Dutch Revival introduced by BAKER under influence of the Queen Anne style then current in England. (Fransen, H. 1982. Three centuries of South African Art. Fine Art, Architecture. Johannesburg: AD Donker; Keith, M. 1998. The Baker School. A continuing tradition. In Fisher, R, le Roux, S with Mare?, e (eds). Architecture of the Transvaal. Pretoria: Unisa)

Postscript from Keath, Michael. The Baker School in Roger C Fisher & Schalk le Roux with Estelle Mare, 1998. Architecture of the Transvaal. Pretoria: University of South Africa. pp, 93.

The principal architects of the Baker School on this site are as follows:
COOK, James Charles (1878-1955)
COWIN, John Morris (1875-1942)— COWIN AND POWERS
EAGLE, Piercy James (1875-1942) — PWD, Pretoria
EMLEY, Frank (1861-1938) — EMLEY AND WILLIAMSON
FLEMING, Francis (Frank) Leonard Hodgson (1875-1950)
KENDALL, Franklin Kaye (1870-1948)
HOOGTERP, John Albert (1892-1972)
LEITH, George Esslemont Gordon (1886-1965)
MARSHALL, Arthur James (1879-1955) — SOLOMAN AND MARSHALL
McCUBBIN, David Aitken (1879-1948)
MASEY, Francis Edward (1861-1912)
MOFFAT, John Abraham (1871-1941)
NEWHAM, William Benjamin Turner (1894-1975)
PEARSE, Geoffrey Eastcote (1885-1968)
PILKINGTON, Henry Lionel Gordon (1866-1968)
PORTER, Harold Nixon (1883-1958)
RALSTON, John (1878-1955)
REES-POOLE, Vivian Sydney (1883-1965)
REID, Arthur Henry (1856-1922) — AH REID AND EAST
ROBERTSON, James David (1877-1945)
SLOPER, Ernest Willmott (1871-1916) — BAKER AND SLOPER
SMALL, Charles (-1954)
SOLOMON, Joseph Michael (1886/8-1920)
SPICER, Harold Wolseley (1883-1964)
STUCKE, William Henry (1865-1931) — STUCKE AND HARRISON
WATERSON, John (1864-1934) — WATERSON AND VEALE
WILLMOTT, Ernest (see SLOPER)



List of structures built in this style

with images
with notes

Church of St Barnabas, 1896, Tamboers Kloof, Cape Town, Western Cape
Clumber Methodist Church School, 1837, Bathurst, Eastern Cape
Post Office, 1936, Parys, Free State
Post Office, 1937, Sabie, Mpumalanga
St Andrew's Church, 1894, Newlands, Cape Town, Western Cape
St Boniface Church, 1910, Germiston, Gauteng
St John the Divine, Memorial Church, 1901, Mahikeng, North West
St Michael and All Angels Anglican Church, 1898, Observatory, Cape Town, Western Cape
St Philip's Church, District Six, 1898, District Six, Cape Town, Western Cape
St Philip's Church, Woodstock, 1898, Woodstock, Cape Town, Western Cape

Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.