Share this record


Lexicon
University of Kwa-Zulu Natal School of Architecture

_____________________________________________________

An Outline History of
Architectural and Quantity Surveying Education
in the University of Natal

Part 1. Pioneer Period 1933 - 1948

1933

Part-time courses in Architecture were first offered by the Natal University College.

The courses were under the general direction of Professor O.J.P. OXLEY, Head of the Department of Fine Arts.

Classes were held in the Natal Technical College Building.

Mr. D. Calvert McDONALD was the main lecturer and he was assisted by architects such as Mr. W.B. OXLEY, Colonel HIRST, Mr. J.C. SIMPSON, Mr. F.W. POWERS, Mr. S.N. TOMKIN and other architects.

The examinations for this course were conducted by the University of the Witwatersrand.

1937

Professor O.J.P. OXLEY moved the Department of Fine Arts to Pietermaritzburg and Mr. D. Calvert McDONALD was the head of the architectural course.

For the first time the architectural students had their own studio and this was in the City Building.

1940

Mr. D.C. McDONALD was appointed Acting Head of the Architectural Section when Professor O.J.P. OXLEY went on full-time military service.

1945

Mr. D.C. McDONALD was appointed Head of the Architectural Section.

Mr. N.H. Wiseman gave the first lectures in Quantity Surveying.

1946

The number of students increased rapidly with demobilisation.

Mr. A. 0. Simpson started the first course of lectures in Quantity Surveying.

The examinations were conducted by the University of the Witwatersrand.

Part 2. The School of Architecture Period 1949-1970

1949

The Natal University College became the University of Natal.

The Department of Architecture and Quantity Surveying was established. Professor P.H. CONNELL was appointed Professor of Architecture and Head of the Department of Architecture and Quantity Surveying.

The Degree course in Architecture was started.

The Degree course in Quantity Surveying was started.

Mr. A. 0. Simpson became Principal Part-time Lecturer in Quantity Surveying.

1950

The Department moved from City Building to old army huts at Howard College.

Mr. L.T. CROFT vas appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master in Architecture.

1951

The Department moved into accommodation in the Memorial Tower Building.

Miss H.D. BRANDT was appointed Lecturer.

The Committee for Studies in Architecture was established.

The Degree course in Quantity Surveying changed to include one year of full-time attendance.

1952

Dr. R.B. LEWCOCK and Dr. B.E. BIERMANN were appointed Lecturers/Studio Masters in Architecture.

External Certificate Course in Architecture and in Quantity Surveying introduced.

1953

Mr. E. WATERMEYER was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

Mr. D. DYKE-WELLS was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

1956

Inspection of the School by the Institute of Architects.

1957

Mr. C.R.S. Dick was appointed Senior Lecturer in Quantity Surveying.

Mr. A. WILLIAMS was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

1958

"Indlu" Geodesic Research Project carried out by senior students under the guidance of R. Buckminster FULLER.

1959

The Department moved into the Centenary Building.

"Contra 1" published by the Architectural Students Society.

Mr. E.W. CHANDLER was appointed Lecturer/Studio Master.

1960

Mr. S.N. TOMKIN was appointed Honorary Professional Adviser.

Inspection of the School by the Institute of Architects.

1961

Mr. G.C. GOLDMAN was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

Mr. E. TOLLMAN was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

1964

Mr. J.D. THERON was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

Professor P.H. CONNELL resigned as Professor of Architecture and Head of the Department of Architecture and Quantity Surveying.

Dr, B.E. BIERMANN edited "Greek Studies" by Rex MARTIENSSEN which was published by the Department.

Inspection of the School by the Institute of Architects.

1965

Professor L.T. CROFT was appointed Professor of Architecture and Head of the Department of Architecture and Quantity Surveying.

Mr. J.A. TEMPLER was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

1966

Mr. TOLLMAN designed the Industrial Design stand for which the School was responsible and which was built at the "Design in the Home" Exhibition.

Mr. Colin SINCLAIR conducted a three-day seminar in professional practice.

Professor L.T. CROFT edited "The City: Space, Scale, Furniture", which was published by the Department.

The Architectural Students Society organised a discussion with architects, civil engineers and builders on "The Role of the Architect in Architecture is Diminishing,"

Exhibition of abstract studies by students held in the N.S.A. Gallery was opened by Dr. E.G. Malherbe.

1967

Mr. P.R. STEWART was appointed Lecturer /Studio Master.

Eduardo VILLA's second visit.

A report on the University of Natal, Durban Campus was prepared by fourth year students and published as "Campus 80".

Winter School held from 3rd to of July with visiting critics, Professor Gino VALLE, Professor E.W.N. MALLOWS, Professor Julian BEINART, Mr. Revel FOX, Mr. Pancho GUEDES, Mr. Peter Whitworth and Mr. Hans HALLEN. (Report published "Winter School '67").

1968

The new studio on the second floor of the south wing of the Centenary Building came into use.

Mr. Julian ELLIOTT conducted the University Planning Symposium. The proceedings were published as "University Planning Symposium June 1968".

Inspection of the School by the Institute of Architects. ("Natal School Report '68").

1969

Professor E.W.N. MALLOWS delivered the first Annual Discourse -"Professional Education and the Academic Dialogue" published under this title.

Mr. B.T. KEARNEY edited and the Department published "School of Architecture" for prospective architectural students, with articles by Professor L.T. CROFT and Mr. J.A. TEMPLER.

The students organised a symposium "What I would like the School of Architecture to be", followed by a workshop on the design of a School. ("New School of Architecture").

Professor L.T. CROFT produced "Development Report 1969" which set out the projected development for the Department.

The Branch Architectural Library was established.

1970

The Department started working in metric units.

Mr. B.T. KEARNEY was appointed Lecturer/ Studio Master.

Mrs. S.M. Borckenhagen was appointed Senior Lecturer in Quantity Surveying.

Mr. P.L. Teale was appointed lecturer for the technology courses.

Mr. S.V. NAUDE was appointed Senior Lecturer/Studio Master from 1st July, 1970.

Mr. R.A. Prior was appointed Senior Lecturer in Quantity Surveying in charge of the Quantity Surveying courses from 1st November, 1970.

Honorary Fellowships in the Faculty of Engineering awarded to:

Mr. D.C. McDONALD
Mr. S.N. TOMKIN
Mr. A.0. Simpson.



Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.