Share this record


Lexicon
Cape Institute for Architecture

_____________________________________________________

The Cape Institute for Architecture (2000-)

Previously

The Cape Provincial Institute of Architects (1930s-2000)

The Cape Institute of Architects (1902-1930s)

The Cape Town Institute of Architects (1901)

The African Institute of Architects (1899-1901)

The African Society of Architects (1899)

On 30 December 1901 during the South African War Robert McKenzie CAMPBELL was present in Cape Town at a meeting of the proposed 'South African Society of Architects' Campbell indignantly opposed the formation of the society under this name, explaining that he was a Johannesburg architect, and was at the present a refugee, and pointed out there was good reason to suppose that Johannesburg in the near future would be a very important city, probably a greater one architecturally than Cape Town. He thought it unfair for Cape Town to take advantage of the present state of Johannesburg to form a Society aspiring to be representative of South African Architects. (CA A1659 vol 1/1:152). John PARKER proposed to the meeting that The African Institute of Architects be called The Cape Town Institute of Architects, seconded by E Austin COOKE. This was adopted by the meeting. In July 1902 the name was changed to The Cape Institute of Architects. The draft constitution and bye-laws were then to be finalised by the founder members who were Messrs PARKER, SMITH, BAKER, AH REID (Chairman), ACKERMANN, MILNE, HITCHIN and MASEY as Hon. Secretary.

In August 1902 HITCHIN replaced MASEY as Honorable Secretary. MASEY remained on the committee and the meeting elected the following: Fellows of The Cape Institute of Architects - REID, PARKER and MASEY; Associates of The Cape Institute of Architects - SLADDIN and KENDALL; President of the Institute - John PARKER; Vice President - Arthur REID.

The importance of The Cape Institute of Architects was evident from its first meeting, as a code of ethics, architectural fees and the rules and conditions of architectural competitions were clearly defined. The terms of first competition to be considered were in September 1902. This was for the design of the new municipal baths at Caledon Square. The committee rejected the terms of this competition until further specifications were made. Their authority was thus evident from the start.

In July 1905 further alterations to the Articles of Association and bye-laws were made. Additional members to the Institute were Messrs COWIN, JONES, DRAIBY, LYON, HAWKE, MacGILLIVRAY and GRANT. On 2 December 1907, MASEY was elected as the second president of The Cape Institute of Architects, which was now admitted as an Affiliated Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects. The Cape Institute of Architects grew from strength to strength and in September 1917 Messrs DELBRIDGE (Chairman) and KENDALL were in discussion with Professor SNAPE and the Council of UCT for the creation of a Chair of Architecture and Fine Arts and it was through these initial efforts of The Cape Institute of Architects that this Chair was established in 1923. The name of the Institute was changed in the 1930s to The Cape Provincial Institute of Architects and its exemplary work in the field of architecture continued. The name is now The Cape Institute for Architecture, which today has offices in 71 Hout Street, Cape Town.

(Walker, 2011:5)

Visit their website



Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.