The houses built in new Black 'locations' by the newly incumbent Apartheid regime after 1948 in South Africa were as a result of research conducted by the National Building Research Institute (NBRI) between 1948 and 1951. While a group effort, much of that implemented resulted from the ideas of Douglas CALDERWOOD, a young architect working at the NBRI at the time. He subsequently incorporated his work into two academic studies for which he was awarded an MArch and, later, a PhD, by the University of the Witwatersrand School of Architecture. The dwellings were the design of another young architect employed by the NBRI, Barrie BIERMANN, now remembered for his research in Cape Dutch architecture. Biermann's knowledge of the Cape Vernacular is evidenced by the plan of the standard house. It became generally known as the NE 51/6, where 'NE' stood for Non-European, '51' was 1951, the year of Calderwood's doctoral thesis, and '6' was the drawing's number in the thesis. Other designs included the NE 51/7, consisting of a pair of semi-detached NE 51/6s, and the NE 51/9, a slightly larger version of the NE 51/6 with an internal bathroom.