Share this record


Lexicon
South African School of Mines and Technology

_____________________________________________________

The South African School of Mines was established in 1896 in association with the South African College in Cape Town, where two years of study there were followed by a year in Kimberley, thereafter another year in Johannesburg, there under the curatorship of GAA MIDDELBERG (1846-1916). The Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) interrupted this scheme. Under Milner’s direction an advisory committee for technical education on the Witwatersrand was appointed and in 1903 the School of Mines moved there from Kimberley where it became the Transvaal Technical Institute.