Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Pretoria, Gauteng

DEVEREUX and SKINNER: Architect
William SKINNER: Project Architect

Date:1854-1855
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Destroyed
Street:Church Sq

The building which was designed by the Devereux Brothers and W Skinner was completed in 1855. Additional wings were added to the church in 1867, it is shown to have had a stepped gable with finials on the steps and to have been thatched. (Dunston 1975:14)

In September 1882 was dit baie droog en warm. Vrydagaand 8 September het swaar reënbuie losgebars en in die nag het 'n kwaai wind gewaai. Die kerkgebou het swaar gely. Die dak van die suidelike vleuel het inmekaargestort en op 17 September voor dagbreek het daar boonop 'n brand in die gebou ontstaan, waarskynlik weens brandstigting. Net die trap van die preekstoel en een nagmaaltafel kon gered word.

'n Noodkerk is in aller yl opgerig op 'n leë erf wat aan Kerkplein gegrens het. Dadelik is planne beraam vir 'n nuwe kerkgebou en op 6 Oktober 1883 het genl. Piet Joubert die hoeksteen daarvan gelê terwyl hy as waarnemende staatspresident opgetree het in die plek van pres. Paul Kruger, wat op besoek aan Holland was. Dié kerkgebou is op 23 Januarie 1885 deur ds. Charles Morgan van die NG Kerk ingewy, pleks van deur 'n Hervormde predikant. Net ds. N.J. van Warmelo van die NH Kerk het 'n beurt gekry om aan die verrigtinge deel te neem toe hy 'n dankgebed gedoen het.

(Morné van Rooyen, August 2015)

September 1882 was very hot and dry. Friday night 8 September a heavy storm broke out with strong winds. The church building suffered badly. The roof of the southern wing collapsed and before daybreak on 17 September a fire started in the building, probably due to lightening. Only the steps of the pulpit and the altar could be saved.

An emergency church was erected in all haste on an erf boardering Church Square. Immediately plans were made for a new church and on 6 October 1883 Gen. Piet Joubert laid the corner stone while he was acting State President in place of Pres. Paul Kruger who was on a visit to Holland. The church was inaugurated on 23 January 1885 by ds. Charles Morgan of the Dutch Reformed Church in stead of a Reformed minister. Only ds. N.J. van Warmelo of the Reformed Church had a chance to partake in the ceremony when he gave a prayer of thanks.

(De Volkstem Oct 1904; Du Toit 1954:6; Eeufees-album 1954:25; Pretoriana no. 87:44-5)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Dunston, Lola & Dunston, Tom. 1975. Young Pretoria 1889-1913. Pretoria: Dunston. pg 14, 15 ill
Kesting, DP. 1978. Afrikaans Protestantse kerkbou : erfenis en uitdaging. Port Elizabeth: Unpublished PhD. pg 776, 805